Salmon, avocado, and olive oil provide heart-healthy fats and a Southwestern spice blend contributes the flavor that will make you want to come back for more.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 (4-ounce) skin-on wild Alaskan salmon filets*
- 1 avocado, cut in to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup corn (cooked, cut off the cob)
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups arugula, about 8 ounces
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
Combine spices and brown sugar and rub on both sides of the salmon filets.
Combine avocado, corn, onion, and lime in a separate bowl. Set aside.
Heat half of the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat (preferably a cast iron skillet). Once hot, sear salmon, skin side down, and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Then, flip the salmon to finish for another 2 minutes. Plate arugula, then salmon (skin side up) and avocado relish; finish by drizzling remaining oil and chopped cilantro.
*Be sure to source salmon that’s listed as a “Best Choice” at seafoodwatch.org